Monday, August 6, 2007

Cardboard Castle


Our 4-year-old has been invited to some pretty extravagant birthday parties, with live entertainment, bouncy houses galore, the run of a "farm" with ponies and other rides, catered food. Each time I can't help guesstimating the cost of these parties. It's certainly way more than I'm willing to spend on a party for anyone under the age of 60.

So, for a party for our son, we built this castle from scavenged refrigerator boxes, using plans and rivets from Mr. McGroovy's. This photo is the calm just before the storm. We had about 20 kids aged 3-4 running through the castle waving inflatable swords and screaming with laughter for 2 hours. (And then they had cake....)

The point is, with a little effort (this took us 5 nights to build) and creativity (Mr. McGroovy's, in this case), it is possible to throw a fun, memorable party that doesn't cost a lot. I can't afford to keep up with all the Joneses. Equally important, I don't want to teach my child that lavish spending equates in any way to fun or happiness.

2 comments:

Kerry said...

This is an excellent castle! I know exactly what you mean about kids partys - jeeze! I think you did a fantastic job.

Regarding the divider in the bag at my blog, it's basically just a pocket a little smaller than the width of the inside. I'll take a shot of the inside of the bag when it's done - you'll see what I mean. I'm could probably be done better, but it does the trick :)

Cross Family Blog said...

Fantastic! I just threw a party for my son last weekend and was determined not to be the one that spent $250 on a party at Jump Planet. While I think it's fun to go there, I certainly don't need to spend that much to see a smile on my son's face. :) Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only sane person out there! I think putting more of yourself into it makes it that much more gratifying when they come up and say "That was the best party EVER!" Great post, and fantastic castle! Kudos to you!