Thursday, October 16, 2008

Top-down EZ 3-spiral hat?

My current project is a version of Elizabeth Zimmermann's 3-spiral (aka snail or conch or Dairy Queen) hat for baby N.

The original pattern (for adults) published in The Opinionated Knitter, as well as this adorable baby version, are knit from the bottom up. I tried and failed several times while Baby N was in the NICU. I winged it without making a gauge swatch, but N's head was growing fast, and I knit real slow. After frogging for the third or fourth time, I gave up.

I'm trying to convert the pattern to knit top-down, but it's a little harder than I expected. For example, does "K2tog" bottom-up convert to
(a) Kf&b
(b) M1, K1
(c) K1, M1
(d) M1, P1
(e) P1, M1
(f) other ???
The only way I could figure it out was to actually try each and see how it looks. Finally, I think I'm close to a pattern that, although isn't exactly like the original, has a very similar effect.

To be continued....

No comments: